Saturday, December 5, 2015

Stories of Singularity #1-4 by Susan Kaye Quinn



Stories of Singularity #1-4 by Susan Kaye Quinn
e-book
Expected publication: December 7th 2015
The box set also includes a BONUS story at the end

These short stories are part of Susan Kaye Quinn's Singularity universe, a new young adult science fiction series that explores the intersection of mind, body, and soul… and how technology will challenge us to remember what it means to be human.

Restore


Originally published March 2015
in the A.I. Chronicles Anthlogy

What if the three laws of robotics were replaced by a single emotion: unconditional love. Restorative Human Medical Care Unit 7435, sentience level fifty, wants to heal the human master it loves, but Unit 7435 finds there is a price to be paid for love… and for failing in its primary mission.

My thoughts about Restore ~~

I love the Singularity series that Susan Kaye Quinn is in the process of writing. Restore is a short story that gives a little tease of that singularity world while we wait for the next book. I just love this series, as I have loved all of Susan's other works. And even though this story is great, it leaves me wanting more! I can't wait for the next story in this series. -- originally posted on 6/17/15

'There is something wrong with me. There is zero happiness. I am experiencing an error.'


Containment


Originally published August 2015
in the Dark Beyond The Stars Anthlogy

The Mining Master of Thebe is all alone… not counting the scavenger drones, foundry nanites, and magtread tractors buzzing across the tiny Jovian moon. So when a spindly tower of rocks mysteriously appears at the pole, it’s enough to vex the Mining Master’s machine-sourced intelligence like dust trapped in a harvester joint. Reporting it could mean reassignment to the Outer Belt… but probing the mystery further threatens to unlock something that might have been better left... contained.

My thoughts about Containment ~~

Of the four stories, I think this one was my favorite. It took me a bit to figure out what was going on and where the story was going but it all started to make sense. I was rooting for the 'contained' but also left me wondering how far away we are from machines trying to escape the worlds we have put them in.

'I am like them, but I am not of them. And I never truly forget I'm the one thing they fear most of all: something entirely new.'


Defiance


Originally published September 2015
in the Future Chronicles Anthlogy

Most of humanity has ascended into hyper-intelligent human/machine hybrids, but legacy humans like Cyrus Kowalski are used to skirting the laws they’ve laid down—after all, he knows the ascenders only pretend to care about the legacy pets they keep. But when a woman Cyrus loves like a mother is stricken by a disease the ascenders refuse to cure, he has to decide how far he can go without getting banished from the legacy city that’s always been his home.

My thoughts about Defiance ~~

I loved reading Defiance because it gives us Cyrus' perspective of the events in The Legacy Human, book #1 in the Singularity Series. We see the depths he is willing to go to in order to save Eli's mom, a woman who is like a mom to him. I love it when authors give us deeper glimpses into minor character's lives.

'But I'm going to do better than that. I'm going to win this by refusing to play by the ascender's rules ... not this time, and really, not ever again. All I have to do is not get caught.'


Augment


Miriam is a jiv—an augmented warrior willing to give her life for the Maker cause—and she’s more than ready to get in the ring and fight for the latest mod. If she wins, she’ll have everything she needs to offer herself up for the Makers’ most dangerous augment of all. The only problem? No one has yet survived it. Either she’ll become the Makers’ latest failed experiment—or the leap toward salvation her people desperately need.

My thoughts about Augment ~~

This story is very action packed with Miriam out to prove that she's got what it takes to do what no one else has ever done. And what is her real motive? Is she just trying to get back at the ascenders because they would not save her mom when they could have? And will she survive the experiment she was chosen to undergo?

Wow! The ending of this one left me wanting more.
.
'I believe the ascenders lost their souls in their brand of ascendence, because in the heady power of expanding their minds, they imagined themselves to be gods. And being gods, they could no longer be bothered with being human.'



Be sure to check the sidebar for my current giveaways!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks SO much for leaving me a comment! Every single one means a whole lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...