Monday, June 6, 2011

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio

'A heartbroken woman stumbled upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author. 

In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after.

Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life.

A mesmerizing debut with an idyllic setting and intriguing dual story line, The Violets of March announces Sarah Jio as a writer to watch. ~~ synopsis from Goodreads

Loved, loved, loved this book! Once again, I was initially drawn to the book by it's cover but there is a beautiful story inside. Ms. Jio writes so well that it is very easy to get lost in the story. I love reading books that connect the past to the present and then that connection allows some healing to happen.

I will have to admit that I had a hard time warming up to one of the characters so I was a little surprised at how the story ended. But that is a sign of a good author, I suppose, to keep the readers guessing. Ms. Jio did that for me, I was going down the wrong path.

While I started reading this book, I discovered what I think are violets in my yard while I was mowing. I had never noticed them before. I am sure they didn't just magically appear. But who knows, maybe they did and in that case, I need to think about what that means.

Sarah Jio's second novel, Bungalow, comes out next Spring and you can bet that I will be on the lookout for it. I am excited to read another story from this author.

http://www.sarahjio.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks SO much for leaving me a comment! Every single one means a whole lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...