Monday, May 7, 2012

Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn

When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep.

Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. 


When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her. ~~ synopsis from Goodreads

My thoughts about Open Minds ~~ 

I just love this cover, don't you? And it just made me curious to know what was inside. As I have said before I am a fairly new reader to this whole YA genre. So this type of book was a learning experience for me ~ mind readers, jackers and zeros. Wow, all new to me, but I loved it!

The story also contains that age-old theme of high-schoolers wanting to fit in with their classmates and not be different. The hero of the story is a very likable sixteen year old girl that just wants to be like everybody else. She finds other people like herself, but that is when the trouble starts. Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys?

Here are some great lines from Open Minds ~~
  • 'I wondered if every person had their own flavor.'  (hmmm, I wonder too)
  • 'If people knew we could control them, life would be a whole lot worse. In ways I didn't even want to think about.' 
And then, maybe my favorite, since I've worked in libraries for a lot of years. 
  • 'Librarian. It jarred my orange-misted brain: the librarian wasn't simply a jacker. She was an undercover FBI jacker, infiltrating the local jacker mafia. She always seemed so nice, when I needed help at the reference desk.'
Ha! Never underestimate the Librarian!! 

Kira goes through some amazing and frightening events and comes to realize what is really important in her life. I can't wait to see where these characters go in book 2, Closed Hearts. I wonder what that title means?   

This is book #1 in the Mindjack Trilogy. Book #2, Closed Hearts will be released May 23rd. 

I can't wait to read it and to continue the adventure! 

Author information

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author
in his eyes FINAL 72 pixOpenMinds_cover_72LLP_Final_Cover_web47pxSummer Anthology breeze cover omnific 150pix
NEW: In His Eyes Anthology 
(with a short prequel to Open Minds, called Mind Games)
Find all of Susan's books at her author website
To be notified by email about future releases, click here

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review! And it's true ... you never know what those librarians are up to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks SO much for leaving me a comment! Every single one means a whole lot to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...